- Interactive Map produced by United Van Lines data (link) 42nd Annual National Movers Study
- Americans are on the move, relocating to western and southern parts of the country
- More residents moved out of New Jersey than any other state in 2018, with 66 percent of New Jersey moves being outbound
- The state with the highest percentage of inbound migration was Vermont (73 percent) followed by Oregon
- United Van is the the nation’s largest household goods mover and knows where Americans are moving to and from, but also the reasons why
- One out of every two people who moved in the past year moved for a new job or company transfer, followed by retirement (28 percent), proximity to family (21 percent) and lifestyle change (19 percent)
- In the full article below are the top ten inbound and outbound states.
The top inbound states of 2018 were:
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
- South Dakota
- District of Columbia
New to the 2018 top inbound list are Arizona at No. 5 and District of Columbia at No. 10, with 60.2 percent and 56.7 percent inbound moves, respectively.
The top outbound states for 2018 were:
- New Jersey
- New York