- Last week, President Trump declared the opioid crisis a national public health emergency
- The life expectancy of American citizens is actually decreasing for the first time in decades as a result of the opioid crisis
- The last time an issue this serious caused a decrease in life expectancy to occur in America was at the height of the AIDS crisis in 1993
- The opioid Fentanyl has become one of the leading causes of substance abuse deaths, and in 2016, it caused over 20,000 overdose deaths alone
- In 2017, overdose rates are expected to double and show no indication of slowing down.
These highlights are from the source article:
Opioids Have Become So Dangerous They’re Shortening American Life Expectancy