- Billionaires don’t always come from moneyed backgrounds.
- In fact, many famous billionaires actually grew up very poor
- Here’s a look at how some of the wealthiest people on the planet came up from nothing including
- Oprah Winfrey grew up in poverty and started off her career by becoming the first African American TV correspondent in Nashville
- Starbucks president Howard Schultz grew up in a housing complex for the poor
- Legendary trader George Soros survived the Nazi occupation of Hungary and arrived in London as an impoverished college student
- Ralph Lauren was once a clerk at Brooks Brothers
- and one of my favorite stories – Jan Koum who was born in Kyiv, Ukraine – At the age of 16, he accompanied his mother to California, where they secured an apartment through government assistance – In order to survive, he swept floors at a local store – Koum self taught himself computer skills and in 2009, he cofounded the world’s largest mobile messaging service WhatsApp, which was purchased by Facebook for $22 billion in 2014.
Via Business Insider
These highlights are from the source article:
19 billionaires who grew up poor